We are looking for a qualified Solicitor, preferably with a Commercial, Corporate or Energy background to join our Commercial & Legal team here at CNG. The successful person will be commercially focussed with the ability to look at both the bigger picture and the minutiae, possess first-rate communication skills with the ability to influence across the business at all levels and be able to constructively challenge with the aim of positively fostering and safeguarding the business.
This is a varied role with a number of key responsibilities, which include but are not limited to; drafting, advising, reviewing and negotiating various commercial contracts across the business, supporting all areas of the business in proactively identifying potential disputes or claims, avoiding such disputes or claims and successfully managing any formal dispute and driving forward compliance activities across a number of areas (e.g. competition, consumer, fraud, privacy, intellectual property), ensuring the right balance of compliance, risk and pragmatism.
If you are looking for a new challenge, and this sounds like it’s for you, please keep reading for the full job description.
Reporting to the Commercial Director, the role manages CNG’s day-to-day legal affairs and ensures the provision of accurate, timely and pragmatic legal advice and support across all areas of the business on a range of issues and projects.
Responsible for providing informed, preventative and commercially relevant legal advice to the business on a broad range of matters including key commercial projects, property contracts, general advice on regulatory matters, organisational governance and compliance requirements and the avoidance and/or management of disputes and litigation.
The role is also responsible for the management of a Paralegal and supporting the Commercial Director with Company Secretary duties as and when required.
The role comprises of the following:
1) Advisory Support – Delivering cross-functional legal support and advice to the CEO, SLT and to all business units on a wide range of legal, compliance, regulatory and commercial issues. Providing clear and incisive advice on a wide range of legal matters including contractual, strategic, litigious, regulatory, data protection, intellectual property and employment.
2) Legal Documentation – Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various commercial contracts and agreements and assessing other business and legal documentation, outlining recommendations and gaps.
3) Commercial Strategy – Supporting on the implementation of commercial strategies aligning to CNG’s business plan. Working closely with key business stakeholders to understand their objectives and business drivers and to identify current and future legal requirements. Understanding the pressure points and objectives of the business, effectively communicating the risks and legal issues involved in any decision to management.
4) Risk Management – Managing and mitigating legal risks by designing and implementing company policies and procedures or advising on changes that are required. Promoting legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout CNG.
5) Continuous Improvement – Researching and implementing legal design and automation tools to drive efficiencies within the team and the wider business.
This role entails a broad range of responsibilities, requiring experience in projects, commercial law, property and other regulatory matters, a specialist knowledge of energy sector is also advantageous, although no essential provided the candidate is willing to learn new skills.
Drafting, advising, reviewing and negotiating various commercial contracts across the business.
Supporting all areas of the business in proactively identifying potential disputes or claims, avoiding such disputes or claims and successfully managing any formal dispute.
Keeping informed of any legislative changes that may impact the business and share the same across the Commercial & Legal team and the broader business as appropriate, including through delivery of workshops or training courses.
Managing particular matters for the business, including the appointment and instruction of external law firms where required.
Providing support for all legal matters arising in the exploration, development and proposition of Marketing and Sales activity.
Supporting the business with contractual dispute management as well as providing legal support for relevant regulatory and compliance issues.
Driving forward compliance activities across a number of areas (e.g. competition, consumer, fraud, privacy, intellectual property), ensuring the right balance of compliance, risk and pragmatism.
Mediating any internal and external complaints, grievances & litigation, providing balanced and impartial legal and business advice and guidance.
Actively participating in the management team, providing guidance and common sense advice to employees, SLT and the Board.
Alongside general contact management, the role also acts as Data Services Contract Manager with the Central Data Service Provider (CDSP), liaising with the CDSP and being the conduit between CNG and Xoserve.
Qualified Solicitor preferably with a Commercial, Corporate or Energy background.
The ability to deliver timely high quality, high impact and efficient support to enable the business to meet its commercial objectives and effectively manage risk
Excellent rapport & relationship building skills with internal and external stakeholders.
First-rate communication skills with the ability to influence across the business at all levels.
A real passion and drive for putting the business' interests first.
Highly organised and able to prioritise workload effectively, self-motivated with the ability to work autonomously.
Constructively challenges with the aim of positively fostering and safeguarding the business.
A team player who works for the success of the wider Commercial & Legal Team and CNG, and is eager to share their knowledge and network.
Commercially focussed with the ability to look at both the bigger picture and the minutiae.
Flexible and adaptable to change.
4 years+ PQE
Experience of working in-house for a Commercial business.
Understanding of the Energy Industry.
Sound knowledge of Gas and Electricity Supply/Shipping License Conditions.
Experience of assessing Industry Code documentation (UNC, MRA, BEIS, SPAA, REC etc.)
If you are interested in applying for the role, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.orgApply now